What is The Process of All-on-4 Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a dental restoration treatment in which a small titanium anchor is inserted into the jawbone in a minor surgical process.
There are many challenges that you might be facing in day-to-day life. Lisps while speaking, difficulty chewing food, and moreover, smiling is the hardest part of it all. Traditional methods like removable dentures can be of little help. They are hard to get used to, as they often slip when you’re least expecting it and they must be taken out and cleaned every night. It takes far more efforts to maintain them, than the actual usefulness.
But then, now is the time you part with those problems and consider the state-of-the-art treatment of All-on-4 dental implants. Let our skillful dentists at Ashton Avenue guide you through it.
What is All-on-4 Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a dental restoration treatment in which a small titanium anchor is inserted into the jawbone in a minor surgical process. In cases where many teeth are failing or need to be replaced, entire row of teeth can be reconstructed in the form of an over denture. It can be fixed into the jawbone with the support from 4, 5 or 6 anchors. When there are 4 anchors supporting an over denture, it is called an All-on-4 dental implant.
This procedure of placing the implants is quick and can be carried out in the dental office itself. The over denture can be made up of materials like composite or porcelain. Porcelain over dentures generally prove to be stronger than composite.
The process of All-on-4 Implants
The entire process of implementing All-on-4 dental implants is divided into 4 steps. Let us have a look.
1) Initial Consultation
Firstly, you need to consult your dentist for a preliminary check-up. During this initial consultation, dentists get to know about the actual requirements and expectations of a patient. They also explain you the entire process, limitations and possible outcome of All-on-4 dental implants.
A preliminary investigation of the patient’s teeth is also carried out at this time only. Whether the patient is a potential candidate for All-on-4 implants is determined by this investigation. Condition of gums, jawbone, and the overall health of a patient play a crucial role in deciding whether one can opt for All-on-4 dental implants.
When a patient is found to be satisfying all the necessary criteria deemed fit for All-on-4 dental implants, the next step is the actual surgery.
As our dentists prefer patient’s comfort, a choice of sedatives is provided. Based on patient’s general health and past history, the sedative is administered. The implementation of implants is carried on with only when the patient is comfortable enough.
Patient’s mouth is then prepared for dental implants. Any remaining decayed or weak teeth are removed, and gums are prepared for implants. In rare cases, dentists might need to insert the implants after a few days of removing these teeth.
Under normal circumstances, 4 implants are inserted into the jawbone at decided locations on the same day of teeth removal. Placement of these anchors is strategically designed to evenly bear the force of biting and chewing food.
The titanium anchors take 3-8 months to fuse in with the jawbone. This time period may differ for every individual. Diabetic patients are not considered suitable for dental implants surgery because the healing time is much longer for them. In normal cases, the desired healing is achieved in 3-8months.
4) Placing Permanent Over denture
When the 4 dental implants are accepted by the body and fused in with the jawbone, the final stage of the process is carried out. Permanent over dentures are placed over the 4 anchors and secured with screws. And the patient’s All-on-4 dental implants are as good as natural teeth. They can last a lifetime if taken proper care of.
Advantages of All-on-4 Dental Implants
- Look and Feel Like Natural Teeth: The patient can eat all kinds of food just like with their natural teeth. And they also look exactly like natural teeth.
- No Need to Remove Daily: Unlike removable dentures, All-on-4 dental implants are permanent and need not be removed for cleaning daily.
- Cleaning Is Easier: Cleaning All-on-4 dental implants is as easy as cleaning natural teeth. No special care needs to be taken. Only, there should be no leftover food after eating, to avoid any decay.
- Decreased Bone Deterioration: All bones deteriorate with age, including the jawbone. But All-on-4 dental implants decrease this process up to great extent. Patients have a stronger jawline making them look younger.
- Longevity: Dental implants tend to last for lifetime when they are properly looked after. Remember dental hygiene is the most important factor. Lastly, the success and longevity of All-on-4 dental implants may vary from individual to individual.