Types And Benefits: Precast Concrete Retaining Wall Panels
Retaining walls are a multi-purpose wall that supports the soil laterally and also maintains the two sides of the wall at a different level. For example, in the case of a steep slope with soil sliding down, a wall can be built to support it and prevent it from sliding down. It can also be at the edge of a terrace or excavation and is specially designed to resist the lateral pressure of soil. It can be constructed using many different types of materials like concrete blocks, timber, rocks, boulders, etc. The basement walls are also a type of a retaining wall, precast concrete retaining wall panels can be constructed using different materials. This article goes on to describe walls and the benefits of using precast concrete.
Popular Types of Retaining Walls
- Wood: Wood is often used to build this wall however, this usually not preferred by the professionals. Those attempting DIY for retaining walls are likely to use wood. One of the main disadvantages of using wood is that it has a shorter lifespan. It tends to rot after a certain period of time and there is not a big cost-benefit either.
- Concrete Block Walls: Concrete blocks are a popular option when it comes to building retaining walls and are often referred to as cinder blocks. These types of blocks are not usually made from concrete since it is very effective for a retaining wall, load-bearing walls, etc. It is highly beneficial to use this to build your wall, however; it does require a great deal of labour.
- Poured Concrete: A poured concrete wall is also a highly effective one, however, it can be disastrous if not done correctly. There are many things that can go wrong when building this hence needs to be done with care.
- Stone Makers Concrete: Building this wall with stone requires a great deal of skill, on the other hand, stonewall will usually be stronger than a concrete one. A stone wall also has a good visual appeal.
Benefits of Using Precast Concrete Retaining Wall Panel
You may often ask, ‘what are the different types of precast products?’, since there are various types of precast concrete, like precast beams, precast floor slabs, precast walls, etc. A concrete retaining wall can be custom designed to transform your landscape and beautify it. This can be built in various shapes and sizes too. Some of the benefits of opting for concrete as listed here:
- It provides highly functional support when required to keep soil in place.
- This is useful to prevent a sinkhole and block of a dirt pile or hills.
- It is highly effective when it comes to preventing a flood.
- This type of wall is low maintenance and can prevent erosion as well.
- If there is a need to protect your property and surrounding structures, this is the best option.
- This type of wall is highly durable and robust in nature. It can be formed using horizontal & vertical prestressed concrete panels with a lesser chance of damage or formation of wall fragments.
- It is quick to install since this type of material can be ordered to size.
The precast concrete retaining wall panel has a smooth internal finish and stays clean and free from damp ingress of pests infestation. It is also easily movable hence besides being easily erected; it can also be easily dismantled and shifted to another location.