A beautiful smile is always contagious and a smiling face reflects happiness and confidence. However, it’s hard to smile wholeheartedly when you’re not happy with the appearance of your teeth.
Although following an oral hygiene routine regularly may go a long way in maintaining a pretty smile, several aesthetic issues related to your teeth may require the help of a dentist. Cosmetic dentistry is a field dedicated to making your smile healthy and charming. Let us attempt to understand cosmetic dentistry and how it can benefit you.
Cosmetic dental procedures
Cosmetic dentistry offers a wide variety of procedures that may range from simple cleaning all the way up to complicated surgeries. Let us have a look at some of the most popular procedures.
- Teeth whitening : This is the most commonly used cosmetic dental procedure. The dentist will apply a solution containing hydrogen peroxide on the surface of the teeth. With the help of laser light, this gel is activated to turn discoloured teeth into pearly whites. Depending on the extent of staining the procedure may take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes and you may need 1-3 sittings to complete the treatment.
- Veneers : A type of dental laminate made of porcelain is used to cover dental deformities like crowding, cracks or chipping. Custom made for each person, Veneers match the colour and shape of your teeth. Usually two dental appointments are needed to complete the procedure. Veneers can serve you for a long time if you take good care of them.
- Invisalign : Invisalign is the more advanced, easy to use and safer alternative to metal braces. These are clear aligners made of plastics that can be removed easily when you want to eat and for cleaning. Custom-made invisalign sets are available to adjust your teeth to the desired position.
Side effects of cosmetic dentistry
A cosmetic dentist is specifically trained to administer these procedures with utmost care. Thus, the patient may not experience any major side effects that will hinder their daily life. But there are several mild side effects that one may face after a cosmetic dental procedure.
- Headache and slight toothache
- Gum bleeding
- Inflammation and irritation in the area
- Tooth sensitivity
- Jaw pain
- Bruising and pain in case of a dental surgery