An Insight Into A Temporary Resident Post Study Work Visa
All international students who have completed their studies from an Australian Educational Institute and who wish to continue living in the country have several options available to them. One of the options is to continue with your studies in Australia and also work after graduation is to opt for the 485 Visa. This is a temporary graduate visa specially designed for international students.
You must remain in Australia during the application process of this visa. It generally takes anywhere between 18 months to 4 years to obtain this visa. This article provides essential information about the 485 Visa and is a good source of information for a 485 visa checklist.
What is a 485 Visa?
This is a skilled graduate visa, where an international student can go ahead with their post-graduate professional course, take up English learning or gain some valuable work experience or get some skilled work experience. This is a temporary visa and is the perfect option for students wishing to stay in Australia for some reason. It is an alternative for those who have failed to obtain a permanent visa or provisional visa.
There are two main streams: graduate work-stream and post-study work-stream. The graduate work-stream is a perfect option for international students who wish to obtain a skilled work position at a firm that is about their study. While the post-study work stream allows all international students to study, work and live in Australia for a short period.
Eligibility for this Temporary Residence Visa
Like any other visa, there is a strict eligibility criterion of 485 visas as well. The eligibility is as listed below:
- Must have held an eligible student visa in the last 6 months or currently have one.
- The age limit to apply for this is 50 years.
- Nominate an occupation from the current skilled occupation list. It must be worth 50 - 60 points.
- A skill assessment for the nominated occupation.
- Meet the criteria for Australian study requirements. The study must have been years of education within the last 16 months. The study must have been completed in English and relevant to the occupation that you have nominated.
- IELTS 6 in all components is a must.
Benefits of Opting for this Visa
There are many benefits of opting for this type of visa. Since it is a skilled graduate visa, students have the opportunity to apply for a permanent skilled visa as long as they are on the 485 temporary visas. Besides the potential future advantages, it is a golden opportunity to experience the unique lifestyle in Australia, gain skills from one of the many universities recognized globally. There is a special benefit of being able to work and study at the same time.
485 Visa Checklist & requirements when applying
The application process for this type of visa is quite straightforward once you are certain that you are eligible. The processing time as per the guidelines is quite long however, as per several statistics collected approximately 75% of the applications are processed within 79 days and 90% within 4 months.
Here are some of the basic requirements for TR visa in Australiabesides the identity documents and forms that you need to submit:
- A valid and current national police certificate issued by the Australian Federal Police or proof having applied for one.
- A medical examination is also a must before the application of the visa.
- Proof of valid medical insurance during the period of a student visa.
- It is possible to apply for this visa only from within Australia.
- Students under the age of 50 years are eligible to apply.
- The application must be made within 6 months of having completed their studies.
- Any occupation the applicant nominates should be present in the long-term and medium strategic skill list.
- Applicants must possess at least a bachelor's, diploma, or trade qualification.